We try not to schedule too many activities, because we like things slow and simple.  This weekend was nothing of the sort.  I can't remember the last time we crammed so much into one weekend, but since we were going to be traveling anyway, and all of our errands seemed to be in the same general location, it seemed wise to do it all in one trip.  

Luke ended up with a cold and fever earlier in the week.  Remarkably, he managed to avoid spreading it to the rest of us.  I can't say enough for hand washing, hand washing, hand washing... and nest building.  A giant nest of blankets brings comfort to any ailment.  Fortunately, he was feeling much better by Saturday morning.

Saturday morning we drove to Buttermilk Falls to pick up our second of four wood shares.  This is the first year the farm has offered a wood csa and it's worked out nicely since we didn't have a stockpile of wood to start out the winter.  It's nicely seasoned oak from deadfall on their property, that is cut, split and stacked.  All we have to do is load it ourselves.  For $100 per season, it' can't be beat. This wood, along with scraps that my father in law saves for us from his construction company, has kept us going strong this winter.  We've been cutting, splitting, and stacking wood on our own, as well, but it won't be dry enough to use until next heating season.

After loading up wood and visiting the sheep in the barn, we said goodbye and headed to my brother's to house sit for the night.  They have a new kitten, Charlotte, and the boys were over the moon to meet her.  They also have a sweet little dog named Lola, but she's not so fond of the new kitten or of having her photo taken.  

Mike and I had a wonderful Valentine's evening cooking dinner together. We couldn't go out to eat, since we were house sitting, so we replicated the meal from our favorite restaurant at home.... turns out, we like our version better and it only cost us a quarter of the price.   Also, Cole and Luke did the dishes!

Sunday morning, we baked our traditional Valentine sugar cookies, but I forgot the cream of tartar and they turned into a sloppy mess.  Luke said they tasted like sugary pancakes.  We cooked one batch for my brother and sister in law, then ended up eating the rest of the batter instead.  Yum!

Mike had also made arrangements with a couple of local farmers to pick up five new chickens on Sunday.  We cleaned up our cookie mess, said goodbye to Lola and Charlotte and headed out the door. We bought two Golden Laced Wyandotte from one farmer and three Black Copper Marans from the other.  They're all laying, except for one Black Copper pullet and she should be laying by spring.  As soon as they adjust to their new surroundings, I'll take some photos.  They were still a little skiddish this morning, so it will probably be a few days.  The photo above is one of our Buff Orpington's.  We started doing photo shoots of our chickens this last week, along with The Daily Egg over on facebook, if you'd like to check it out.  

We're finally home.  The boys and I are glad to be spending the day doing absolutely nothing.  Poor Mike is on the road again, though.  He's picking up Jake, who has been staying with a friend for two weeks.  It sounds like he had a great time working on a theater crew and meeting all kinds of new people, but it will be so nice to have all my chicks home again under one roof.  

1 comment

  1. Now its very easy and simple to get gta money from our website for free. Enjoy playing gta games here on our best website designed for gta gaming, hack and cheats. Grab free gta money in unlimited amount from our website. And also get access to all available games offered from gta for free. This website do not demand anything in return of its services. Visit to explore more offers and features of gta online.